Antioch, Calif.—Mike’s Auto Body in Northern California’s East Bay presented five recipients with completely refurbished vehicles, Dec. 11, at its Antioch location. It marks the company’s 19th year of giving away cars for a total of 88 vehicles and counting.
Every year, Mike’s Auto Body comes across cars that are “written off” by either their owners or insurance companies. In most cases, these are older vehicles that just need some mechanical and bodywork to get them back on the roads and safe to drive.
After Mike’s Sal Contreras made the opening invocation, there was a flag presentation by Mt. Diablo JROTC Color Guard under the direction of LTC Marvin Davis. It was followed by “America the Beautiful” performed by Mike’s very own bagpiper Kristopher Muse, and then the Antioch High School Band played the national anthem under the direction of Band Director Brooke Crawford.
Other speakers included Antioch’s Mayor pro tempore Joy Motts; Marketing Manager Dane Dearlove; Farmers Insurance District Manager Daniel Brown; Senior State Farm Agent Mike Stoiber; Liberty/Safeco Claims Manager Tom Donahue; PR Consultant for CSAA Insurance Group Jason Willett; Enterprise Rent A Car Regional VP Kelly Hunt and Jason Morin from Big O Tires.
Santa Claus made a big entrance, courtesy of the Contra Costa County Fire Fighters Station 81 led by Captain Jon Taormina and, later, all of the children received new bicycles.
The five recipients included:
• Marianela Reyes, who received a 2011 Toyota Camry, and who was nominated by the Hemophilia Foundation of Northern California. The car was donated by Farmers Insurance.
• Sophia Martinez received a 2012 Kia Optima. She was nominated by Shepherd’s Gate and the vehicle was donated by State Farm Insurance.
• Melissa Lilly received a 2016 Subaru Forrester. She was nominated by Ujima Family Recovery Services and Contra Costa College. Liberty Mutual/Safeco donated the vehicle.
• Rob A. Luis received a 2017 Toyota Camry and nominated by Turner East County Students/Special Needs Children Program. The car was donated by CSAA Insurance.
• Janice Garrison received a 2019 Nissan Sentra and was nominated by SparkPoint Contra Costa Shelter Inc. Enterprise Rent a Car donated the vehicle.